there is a bug with the 8:00 scoring

Started by elginz, May 08, 2014, 09:34:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elginz

If you are booted from a game (& get 30pts as a result), it is possible to get back into the game and score more points. This works especially well if you get booted more than once in the same game! I don't know if a player can control the booting. I bring this up now because I have wondered if this was actually true but tonight I have proved it to myself. It is not my intention to win tournaments by trickery but I wanted to be sure before I brought this up.

cat

Maybe its time for a revamp to the whole tournament.Too much emphasis on trick taking and not enough on making the bid and winning the games. It is set up not as a partner game but an individual game and that is not what kaiser is supposed to be. Thank you and have a nice day.

elginz

yes with a little experiment I can rig the game. It seems that the problem is with a flakey Wifi. I can force a 30 point score by just shutting down my Wifi, then firing it up again, and rejoining the game as many time as I am able to before the 10 hands are over, scoring qnother 30 points every time. What got me thinking about this is some of the unbelievable scores I have been seeing. Please fix this.

K.C. Magic Data

Can you quote what and where the message is that tells you that you are getting 30 points for each reconnect?
Kevin S Currie

K.C. Magic Data

Quote from: cat on May 09, 2014, 12:05:49 pm
Maybe its time for a revamp to the whole tournament.Too much emphasis on trick taking and not enough on making the bid and winning the games. It is set up not as a partner game but an individual game and that is not what kaiser is supposed to be. Thank you and have a nice day.

This is just a type of tournament. The game playing stays the same. This Tournament was not intended to be a partners tournament.
Kevin S Currie

catman

Very disappointed in what the scoring in the 8 pm tourney does to the game of kaiser.
Why get penalized for taking the 3?

I bid 7no and my partner takes my bid and leads the 5, so as to get the points for making a no trump. 

"If a three falls in the forest, does anybody hear?"

"The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry" -- French Proverb

K.C. Magic Data

August 12, 2014, 02:05:53 pm #6 Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:14:31 pm by K.C. Magic Data
Sorry I dont mean to sound condescending here if I do:

The 8Pm tournament is designed to be a variation of a Kaiser tournament unlike the the 10PM that you play as a TEAM and win as a TEAM.
This variation being that you play with 3 different partners and you play for individual points only. You compete against everyone for POINTS (Even your partners) It was designed to show how you play as an individual. It is not meant to mimic the entire concept of a standard Kaiser tournament but rather add a twist to it.

The pointing system is based on the 5 being good and of course the 3 being not good.

Why get penalized for taking the 3? Because for every positive point there needs to be a negative to offset it. The tournaments suggests dont take the 3 and instead give it to someone else. Just like make a bid is good and dont make a bid is bad. The tournament encourages you to make a bid and yes take the 5 in doing so, what else is Kaiser about?

If you bid and make it then you get the points from it not your partner.  If your partner does not make that bid he took from you then he loses the points not you.
If you bid 7no and your partner took it then that is strategy to their advantage to obtain more points. I encourage this in the POINTS tournament because thats what this particular tournament is all about. If you read the chart on how to obtain more points in this tournament then you will understand that it is an individual pointing tournament. At the end of the tournament the winner is a person not a team. Everyone playing has the same advantages and disadvantages in obtaining points and the person who does it the best is declared the winner.

Kevin S Currie

catman

Okay, two points:
-sometimes you have to take the 3 to make sure you don't lose the 5
-If my partner takes my NT bid, then leads the 5, should I let the other team take the trick, because I am competing with my partner, too?

K.C. Magic Data

The twist in the 8PM tournament is the strategy and competition.

the keyword you used is "sometimes" ... if you need to take the 3 to get the 5 then that is Kaiser and not the tournaments fault.

If you want to let the other team take the trick as you mentioned then that would not be good strategy because you forget that winning the game is in your favour and not just your partners. So my answer would be NO!
Kevin S Currie

catman

It kind of reminds me of my cousin's kid, who my aunt pays $2 for every home run, so if he hits a single, he just keeps running.  My aunt has transformed a team game into an individual game.

Fair enough.

K.C. Magic Data

So what happens when he doesn't hit a home run does she take $1 from him instead? ;D

The game remains the same but the reason for playing becomes different.
Kevin S Currie

catman

The game isn't being played the same.  He is not satisfied with a single, and he takes chances that put the team (the object is winning) in jeopardy.

Are you saying that the game remains the same when people are playing Cutthrout Kaiser?

K.C. Magic Data

The "reason" for playing this particular tournament is to declare 1 winner not a team. The other tournaments reason is to declare a team the winner not just 1 winner. If you know what the reason for playing each tournament is and the rules before playing then everyone plays with the same intentions and understandings.

As for your baseball analogy id say that if everyone knew before playing that they would get $2 for every home run and they knew ahead of time that everyone played by the same rules then it becomes fair. But if only 1 player got paid for their abilities then that would not be fair to everyone else who is playing for a different reason. :o
Kevin S Currie

K.C. Magic Data

Cutthroat Kaiser? How come its not called that when 2 teams compete against each other?
Not allowed to bring knives and chains to a Kaiser tournament either so no throat cutting allowed.  >:(
Kevin S Currie

catman