April 19, 2024, 12:44:42 pm

Online Kaiser Tournaments

Started by K.C. Magic Data, June 05, 2015, 06:25:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

K.C. Magic Data

When Kaiser was first released to the public i had not planned on Tournaments or how they would be implemented into the Community. They were an after thought. In 2005 i had written extensions to Kaiser that would allow for 2 types of Tournaments to be played. They were written in a couple months and have been used ever since. They have since become very popular and even a controversial topic. Players have come and stayed just for the Tournaments. They are now hard coded into the Kaiser Community. I wrote the majority of the code back in 2005 -2006 with not much changed since those years.

The reason for this post is because I'm researching the overall experience with both Kaiser Tournaments. So far this year i have received just 2 people reporting that they constantly get disconnected from the Tournaments each night. Thats right just "2". They will claim that it happens to everyone all the time and that they are not the only one.
Contrary to what many think... i dont monitor the outcome of each Tournament every night all year long. I live my life with the understanding that no news is good news.
If someone has a problem they will let me know. This may not be true, as most assume that if there is a problem then i must already know about it or that somebody else has  already reported it to me. I make the assumption that when only 2 people report disconnection problems to me that its possible its on their end otherwise everyone would have the same problem. Im a logical person, and can argue that the Kaiser Server is not always the cause of every problem nor is it the only explanation and solution. I admit Kaiser is not perfect but to me its been up and running since 2005 and it works pretty damn good considering how intricate it is and what it accomplishes.

I use Shaw as the primary internet for the Kaiser connections. When Shaw has issues or my internet goes wonky then Kaiser doesn't work. The same can occur with the players that connect because each of you will most likely use Shaw or Sasktel as well. I have recently moved Kaiser onto a brand new fresh loaded Server. This was more for my own satisfaction than anything else.

What I'm looking for is a participation in reporting detailed problems to me pertaining to Tournaments. Mainly disconnects. Report them under this Thread or email me. However, details are required otherwise its pointless. Exact date time and which tournament. Tell me how you connect to the internet, which windows, which anti-virus you use, are you wireless. Never hurts to post the opposite either. If you never get disconnected post that too.

Kevin S Currie

Soul

Quote from: K.C. Magic Data on June 05, 2015, 06:25:24 pm

What I'm looking for is a participation in reporting detailed problems to me pertaining to Tournaments. Mainly disconnects. Report them under this Thread or email me. However, details are required otherwise its pointless. Exact date time and which tournament. Tell me how you connect to the internet, which windows, which anti-virus you use, are you wireless. Never hurts to post the opposite either. If you never get disconnected post that too.

Since the switch over in servers, I continually get disconnected during the 10 pm tourney.  It seems to be around the same time.  10:30ish.   It happened again last night.  I am and have always been wireless.  Windows 7. Not sure on the anti-virus thing, but there has been no change with that.  I called my ISP and they ran tests on my lines.  They found no indication of any type of problem with my line, and said if I was unsatisfied, I could upgrade.  Which, I did, thinking maybe that would help.... It has had no impact.    I am in close proximity to the modem without division of walls, or cement, and on same floor.  I haven't played much during the past week, but when I did, it was the night of the tourney Josephene won alone, I was disconnected that night as well.  (I just logged in to check the date of that, and the list isn't coming up).    The one previous to that, was with Rabak when he won alone,  and was disc again.  Just to give you an idea.  Always around that 10:30 pm mark.  I will keep track of the exact time going forward.

As for the opposite, up until the recent change, I had never experienced this.

gramma

Tonight I joined the 8 pm tournament and got disconnected as soon as I tried to enter the first room. I am using my Iphone hotspot for internet. I have windows 7 on my laptop. I was playing under my other name. The problem could be on my end but just letting you know.It wasnt my internet as I was also downloading an update at the same time. Maybe that was the problem.  Love the game and love playing so very happy you made the program.