March 29, 2024, 06:30:29 am

Routers & Firewalls

Started by K.C. Magic Data, January 27, 2007, 09:18:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

K.C. Magic Data

Routers and Firewalls

Routers and Firewalls  are designed to prevent access to and from your computer or transfer data from one computer to another. Using any of these may require some configurations on your part.

The Firewall may be software (i.e.; Norton Internet Security) or built into your Router (i.e.: Linksys, Dlink or SMC)

This device is designed to block unwanted access to your computer by blocking access on your TCP ports. These are the ports that Kaiser Networks needs to use.

The Kaiser Network ports that need to be opened  if you use a Router or Firewall to connect to the Internet are:

Coming in         2400  (This TCP port # should be forwarded to your computer that will be Hosting.)

Consult your Router manual on how to forward these ports to your IP address of your computer.

Software firewalls may ask you when Kaiser Network is opened to allow it to use these ports. You should answer yes.

Your Hardware firewall will not ask, so you must enable these ports using Port Forwarding. Another way is using DMZ, however this opens all the ports and therefore provides no firewall support to at least 1 computer.

Proxy

The proxy is a software based way of allowing 1 computer to share its internet connection with more than itself. Windows Millennium for example has an (ICS) Internet Connection Sharing program that uses proxies. You may not be able to run Kaiser Network if you are the computer that is using proxy to access the internet. If your Proxy software allows for port forwarding or routing then you would use the ports mentioned above.

Note: If your trying to play Kaiser Network from your work computer that is behind a Firewall on a Router then in most cases you will not be able to  host a game so that others may join. This is not a Kaiser Network problem, but rather a physical configuration of your network that is restricting you from having connections to your computer.

Windows XP has firewall capabilities built in. The firewall may be active.  If you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 then your firewall will be turned on by default.

To see how to disable Windows XP firewall CLICK HERE

Server Hosted

This is an alternative way for anyone to Host a game regardless if they have a Firewall or Router. Hosting a Server Hosted game will  use the Kaiser Server as an Echo Server to relay all connections back to yours. This method may be slower then using the basic Host games.

Note: Only one computer from each Router may  use the Server Hosted at one  time.

All though I may not be able to help in all cases,  feel free to send me an email after you have tried all variations of configuring your network, and I may be able to give you more information.
Kevin S Currie